Home About Shop Advertise

April 22, 2012

Fan Art: Brooke Bundy as The Hunger Games' Octavia

I know that The Hunger Games series is old news now that the film has been out for a month, but guess what? It just hit screens in Spain this weekend! It's still a hot topic here! Also, no, I haven't seen it yet because it is quite important to me that I get to watch the film in my native language. Therefore I wait.

Now, I first got into digital fan art based on literary film adaptations when I (somewhat obsessively) placed Professor Severus Snape into a digital time machine and featured the result in this post. It's so rewarding to take an image of the actor who will be recognized by audiences everywhere as this particular character and then alter it to depict a situation that maybe was in the book but hasn't appeared in the films.

I was amazed when I read that critical characters such as District 12 mayor's daughter Madge Undersee and Katniss' naively lovable prep team had been completely written out of the final film script. When I heard the news, I assumed (hoped!) that these character's would make an appearance in future films since they become rather important to the plot of the series. After all, the casting of stylist Cinna's team of Flavius, Venia, and Octavia has already taken place.

After finding a picture of actress Brooke Bundy who will hopefully be realizing the character of Octavia in the film versions of Catching Fire and Mockingjay, I had all I needed.

Image adapted from Bart Nagel Photography

Say hello to prep team member Octavia.

She is described in The Hunger Games novel as pretty and plump with pea-green skin and bright pink hair. The fuzzy pink butterfly brows were a personal choice ;-). I like to think that this is what she looks like without any makeup on or her hair done. As odd as she may look to us, she is very plain for a Capitol citizen in this particular picture.

In the future, I hope to make some representations of Flavius and Venia as well--not as much because I'm a huge fan as because they seem to be a fun challenge for a fan artist.

What characters from book-to-screen adaptations do you wish had made the final cut? There's Tom Bombadil in The Fellowship of the Ring, Winky the female house elf in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire . . . I could go on, but why don't you tell me in the comments?

1 comment:

  1. I was so bummed that both Madge and the Prep Team were not in the movie. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of Octavia. I hope she's in the future movies too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis