Home About Shop Advertise

January 23, 2012

To the Millions Who Never Had a Birthday

 

On January 22, 1973, nineteen years to the day before I would be born, the United States Supreme Court ruled that "The states are not free, under the guise of protecting maternal health or potential life, to intimidate women into continuing pregnancies" (Justice Harry A. Blackmun) Roe v. Wade.) In other words, abortions in the United States became legalized.

I don't need to say that this sparked one of the most heated and enduring controversies the United States have ever seen. Positions on this issue have defined presidents, enraged congressmen and women, prompted violence, inspired activism and caused the deaths of millions. 

I'm not just talking about the estimated 40 million unborn children that have been killed under the protection of Roe v. Wade. I'm talking about the millions of babies who have died worldwide regardless of the legality of abortion in those countries, and I am talking about the millions of women who died and continue to die from unsanitary, unsafe underground abortion procedures.

If there is anything that makes me want to lie alone and quietly weep for the fallen nature of this world, it is this. 

 

1) If abortion remains legal in America, millions more unborn babies will be legally put to death in America.

2) If abortion becomes illegal in America, millions more unborn babies will be illegally put to death in America, and many mothers-to-be will die from the dangerous illegal practices.

I am "pro-life" (or "anti-abortion" or whatever the politically correct term is nowadays). In fact, on my 18th birthday, I participated in the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. (which is going on today) carrying a sign that said,

"It's my birthday
Thanks, Mom, for letting me have one"

I do believe that abortion should be against the law because, as a Christian, I believe that a) killing an unborn child is immoral, and b) the role of the law is to teach men and women how to live morally (2 Cor 10:5, Rom 7:7). This belief dictates my position on many issues which could be described as an attempt to "legislate morality." 

Many people whom I respect (some of them outspoken Christians) have asked me, "Why does it matter what the local/national/etc. law says? Laws against gay marriage won't keep homosexuals from practicing. Laws against abortion won't keep women from pursuing abortions," and the list goes on and on.

And they are right.

This is the part where I openly acknowledge that I am paralyzed by uncertainty, by hopelessness, and by this world's deep need for a Savior. If this is true and no amount of legislation will ever keep the ills of the world from happening, what is the point? The point is this:

The law does not exist to change the heart, but to judge right from wrong. God does not exist to judge right from wrong, but to change the heart.

Killing a baby is not wrong because some great, cosmic killjoy said so. It is wrong because it hurts people. It hurts hearts--hearts that God wants to protect and heal.

My dear, sweet, precious, loved children of God of every age, race, and creed who have gone Home due to any circumstances surrounding an abortion, today I remember and weep for all of you. 

I do not judge you. 

I do not declare that you were wrong or wronged.

I just remember you every year . . . on my birthday . . . and I cry. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis