Home About Shop Advertise

January 22, 2012

My Big 2-0!

This picture is terrible, but I love it!

I know several readers were wondering why I didn't publish a themed post about memories, resolutions, epiphanies, etc. pertaining to the celebration of New Year's Day. I know many if not most bloggers take advantage of this annual occasion to write rather pensive "deep" posts reflecting on the past year.

Well, here are two things that were going through my head:

1) I tend to sneak "deep" thoughts into many of my posts. I didn't think followers would mind a carefree break. (I seem to remember posting about Jo-Ann Fabrics or something deliciously trivial like that on the first?)

2) I prefer to save my major yearly reflection period for my birthday. It is reasonably close to the festivities of January 1st, and it provides a much more personal time of "starting over." It's my own personal new beginning.

The spoils of my cereal party

And it's today! Woo-hoo! I am 20 years old and riding a train back from a lovely birthday weekend in Toledo. There will be many more pics from said trip, by the way.

What I Learned When I Was 19

  • My friends are few but fabulous.
  • I have Interstitial Cystitis.
  • I am happier when I am working.
  • People write books (good books!) in continents other than Europe.
  • I love food (good food!) even more than I thought I did. Thank you, Spain!
  • Hormones in all of their medicinal uses (birth control pills, antidepressants, etc.) will make you crazy before they actually work.
  • Yes, you can get high off of antidepressants.
  • 18 credits plus a part-time job is crazy but doable.
  • Every time you want to say something unkind, think of 5 kind things to say instead. 
The lovely Allie and her birthday ukelele

  • I miss the theater.
  • Human bodies function very differently at high altitudes.
  • I am very grateful for my sisters.
  • Packing up and moving always takes at least three hours longer than you expect it will.
  • Flash drives can go through the wash and still function perfectly well.
  • Phones cannot.
  • History can be beautiful and fun.
  • I love modeling.
  • Sometimes flying is cheaper than taking the train.
  • How to make Christmas dinner.
  • Lots of the cliches and stereotypes about Spain are true.
Kristen and Ariana. Breana is the yellow splotch in the picture of me with the cereal

  • "My drink" is coconut rum and Coke, or as I like to call it, a Malibu Libre. (NOTE: The drinking age is 18 in Spain)
  • I can survive without Wikipedia.
  • I cannot survive without Google Translate.
  • I need to do my devotions every morning.
  • Stephen Colbert is a genius.
  • Forgiving is the hardest and most rewarding thing you will ever do.
  • I like octopi for pets and squids for food.
  • I will own a parrot someday.
  • Denny's is open all night.
  • Taco Bell is not.
  • Cowboys and Aliens was not as bad as the critics made it sound.
  • I am a much better driver than my reputation would suggest.
  • I am great with maps.
  • Fabric dye is the best $2.50 I will ever spend.
  • I will never stop wanting children, but I can wait.
  • In a lot of ways, Macs and PCs are exactly the same.
  • It is possible to be content without being happy.
  • Josh and I can survive and thrive in a surprisingly small amount of space.
  • I can dress creatively and uniquely with a surprisingly small wardrobe.
  • Love is stronger than hate.
  • I am lucky <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis