Home About Shop Advertise

November 14, 2011

Starving Artist: Fruit Custard Pie


Can't recall if I've mentioned this before, but blueberries, melons, and pears are the ONLY fruits I can safely eat while on the IC diet.For all I know, others won't make me flare up, but it's always better not to risk it. I've been eating my fair share of pears and melons and enjoying them thoroughly, but those two flavors are not commonly found in muffins, cereal bars, fruit juices, etc. so I have been experiencing total blueberry overload!

I am getting through this OD of blueberries by experimenting with unique recipes. This fruit custard pie recipe is one that I made up last year using cherry pie filling and almond extract. I called it Jergens pie at the time. Get it? Jergens lotion is made with cherry and almond extracts! Haha!

Yeah, I know. It didn't make a lot of people want to eat it.

Anyway, I realized that this simplest of pies could easily be made with any fruit pie filling. I would have loved to experiment with all sorts of flavors, but naturally, I ended up going with blueberry.

Fruit Custard Pie:

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can fruit pie filling (your choice)
1 pie crust (homemade or premade)
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)





Combine ingredients into what turned out in my case to be a lovely shade of purple. With cherry pie filling, you will end up with pink. Peach filling would probably give you . . . surprise surprise . . . peachBlend well. No matter how cool the swirlies look in your batter, they will not make for yummy pie . . . or pie that even stays together when you take it out of the oven.


Place your pie crust into a pie plate and trim around the edge of the plate. Flute edges with a fork. Make it pretty :-). Add your filling and distribute evenly.

Bake at 400 degrees  for about 40 minutes or until crust is a nice golden brown. Estimate on the longer end. Just because your exposed crust has begun to turn doesn't mean that the crust underneath your (very wet) filling is done cooking.

Isn't that just easy as pie! You don't even need the recipe. Pun completely intended, by the way.

Rachel likey! And looky likey goofball.
 As you could tell from the first picture in the post, the results were quite satisfactory to those involved. Two disclaimers: The color looks way less nice after cooking. It gets a bit brownish. Also, the texture of this pie is not like a typical fruit pie (hence the custard aspect). It has a texture very similar to pumpkin pie or a somewhat runny cheesecake.

Now go and try this with every other fruit EXCEPT blueberry! I can't take it anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis