Home About Shop Advertise

September 28, 2011

Starving Artist: Sour Cream Apple Pie That I Can't Eat

I bought oodles of gala apples on sale this week because it's one of three breeds of apple I can safely eat on the IC diet. It was with great sadness that I realized that it would be impossible for Josh and I to finish the bag of apples by the time we left this Thursday morning for his brother Philip's wedding. Surely they would go bad by the time we returned Monday.

I didn't worry for long about what to do with the apples. You see, I have a professor with a tremendous sweet tooth who makes her affinity for pastries quite common knowledge in her classes. I whipped her up a pie last night.

This recipe was doubly good because it used up my apples as well as the pint of sour cream I had in the fridge but could not eat on the IC diet.


Sour Cream Apple Pie

Pie
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
dash of cinnamon
dash of cloves
dash of cardamom
3 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced lengthwise (yes, lengthwise makes a difference, lol)
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Thoroughly mix sour cream, sugar, flour, egg, and seasonings. Add apple slices and toss. Place into a single fluted pie crust.

For topping, combine ingredients and thoroughly mix (with hands works best) into coarse crumbs. Distribute over surface of pie.

Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis