Home About Shop Advertise

March 24, 2012

"Tea For Two and Two for Tea" (London/Dublin Trip)


Dear friend Kristen met up with us in Dublin after Josh and I had spent five days in London on our own. Having visited London in the past with her family, Kristen was somewhat mortified that I had not regularly indulged in the British joy that is tea and scones.

Much to both of our delights, upon visiting the beautiful seaside town of Howth (pronounced "Hooth") on the eastern shore of Dublin, we discovered a deliciously homey tearoom at the start of the pier. I didn't need any encouragement, but Kristen definitely wanted me to go.

In the absence of chai (sad day), we ordered a pot of simple green tea, but there was nothing simple about the scoop of dried grasses, lavender, and leaves that was scooped into our teabag. We each enjoyed two cups of the lively beverage--Kristen plain (such a purist) and me with cream and three lumps of sugar each :-). Teehee. I'm sure a scone would have been quite authentic, but who can say 'no' to a spiced muffin with chocolate chips?



They had rosebud tea! I'll have to try that some time.

What was most lovely about this experience was the atmosphere of the tea room. There were comfy antique chairs and sofas and a cozy reading corner. All of the colors were warm and inviting and just asking to be photographed.

Kristen and I sat here while at least an hour passed by without us noticing. We chatted, sipped, munched, and missed our train home while Josh and some other friends hiked the cliffs surrounding Howth's peninsula.

Scones or not, I will never forget my first real teatime just outside of Dublin, Ireland.

Title from Doris Day's "Tea for Two."





More tasty pictures after the jump!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis