Home About Shop Advertise

September 14, 2011

Live Well, Dress Well: Style Some "Sporty"



You might be thinking as you view the title of this piece, "Who does this girl think she is? I've never seen anybody dress less sporty than she does!"

I am no poser, my friends. I know that incorporating the athletic vibe into my wardrobe is not one of my strong suits; however, my sweet husband recently requested that I make more of an effort to dress a little sportier. Apparently some of the times he find me most attractive are when I'm in my workout clothes.

All that to say, this is as much of an instructional post for me as it is for you.

I've done some research for my own benefit and paired my findings with my personal style and fashion knowledge to be able to share with you a little overview of the sporty look. Here are some ways to incorporate elements of the athletic-inspired style into a look worthy of any runway.

Photo credit here
1) Embrace sporty silhouettes

This is easier than it sounds, because athletic-inspired pieces cover the entire spectrum of fits and silhouettes. The trick is usually to pick an extreme. Think about some of the watermarks of athletic garb--baggy sweatpants, tight tank tops, tight bike shorts, baggy t-shirts. It seems to be all or nothing when it comes to the shape of your garments.

Photo credit here and here
2) Pull your hair back or up

This is so simple, but so key! I love the braids that the previous two models are rocking, and a sleek ponytail or a messy bun can be just as powerful. Updos show off your sexy bone structure by baring your shoulders and collarbone and pulling your hair away from your cheeks and jawline.

Photo credit here and here
3) Mix up the accessories

This tip serves two purposes. Adding a hoodie or a pair of canvas sneakers to an already girly outfit can make your look a bit more sporty. In a similar way, adding a feminine hat or a pair of heels to an already athletic or tomboyish outfit can create a similarly statement look. You don't want to look like you're going to work out. You want to look like a stylish fashionista in touch with her sporty side.

Photo credit here
4) Go for bold pops of color

These girls rock my world! I love all of their outfits. They are completely on-trend, but they stay true to the athletic vibe by incorporating the bright colors associated with workout outfits such as track suits. This is a perfect place to start when it comes to easing your way towards a sporty style, and it will probably be my starting point :-)

Photo credit here and here
5) Don't be a poser!

Remember, you are looking for ways to incorporate athletic pieces into your style, not trying to transform yourself into a Serena Williams look-alike. Maybe being true to you means wearing jersey fabric in a more muted or neutral color. Maybe it means sporting athletic brights on flowy and flowery dresses. Blend elements from multiple styles and schools of thought into one masterpiece that is uniquely you.


Enjoy the journey! I know I will.

And maybe get out and get some exercise while you're at it. You're dressed for it after all ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

ShareThis